London Bridge in England

London Bridge in England
Emilie at the London Bridge 2010
Welcome to Around the World with Emilie. This is a blog about my travels. I'll be starting out with my mission trip to India. However I have been to several countries. They include: Kazakhstan (2000), England (2001 & 2010), France (2001), Germany (2001), Holland (2001), Austria (2001), Sweden (2001), Switzerland (2001), Italy (2001), Vatican City (2001), Belgium (2001), Mexico (2004 and 2006), and Canada (2009), India(2011).

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Desire to go to India


I can honestly tell you that I know very little about India. I didn't have it in the back of my head that I would ever go to India and I certainly wasn't planning on going on a mission trip anytime soon. So when the opportunity to go to India came up, I was surprised to find myself not only wanting to go, but knowing I needed to go. There are three reasons why I know this is what I need to do.

About two months ago I was at my normal spot for a Tuesday night, Kairos - a single's group at Grace Church of Eden Prairie- and a few of the leaders of the group got up in front and started to describe the trip to India and a few things they were planning on doing. Their description included working with orphans, destitute women, and later I found out we will be working with inner city kids. For those people that know me at least a little bit they know that I work in an inner city high school and I have a passion for bringing hope to the hopeless.

When I started teaching eight years ago I made a decision that I would do something significant with my time off while I was single and didn't have children. I wanted to work in an orphanage or go on mission trips or volunteer at a homeless shelter. In the eight years that I have taught I haven't done any of those things. I am sure I had good reasons for it, but I wasn't doing what I set out to do with my time off. This trip fell over my spring break- which is normally at the end of March but this year is the middle of March.

Lastly, I am willing and I am able to go. I am single with no kids. I don't have house or anyone depending on me. I have the time off, I have a passion to work with people in need, and I desire for people to not only know of Christ's love but to experience it through meeting their needs.

After having a few conversations with some close friends and family members, I made the decision that I would apply. I was accepted a couple weeks later and I have been pursuing it ever since. Some people have been concerned about the financial aspect of the trip. I can honestly tell you that I am not worried. Not even an ounce. God owns everything! If he desires for me to go, which I believe he does, then the money will come in. I have experienced his financial provision over the last thirty years. I have yet to find him not provide for my needs especially when I have been responsible with what he has blessed me with.

I look forward to what God has in store for this trip. I appreciate all the prayerful and financial support that I have already received. My goal is to keep those interested up to date on how I am doing and specific prayer requests that I have through out this entire process.

No comments:

Post a Comment